Ladies and Gentleman...
you may now clear the premises. Those missing diamonds...oh, maybe you didn't know about them. You didn't hear the news. Weeellll, the truth is....they were missing.
Not to worry, though!!!!!!!!! They have been

And since I am under doctor's orders to take it easy, not lift over 8 pounds, and to not drive for 2 weeks....I have a tad bit of time on my hands. For a few days, don't be expecting anything crafty or creative from these woods. And so, I decided to share this little story with you.
So here we go on tonight's story. The rings. Confession: I have a terrible, abhorrent, shameful habit of mindlessly taking off my wedding rings at random times while at home. I take them off when I am sleeping. When I am changing diapers. When I am typing. When I am showering. When I am bathing the kids. When I am cooking. Basically...when I am at home. Now, that wouldn't be so bad if I had a central place for these expensive shinies. Well, the truth is that I DO have a place for them, but I never use it! The problem is that I just leave my rings lying around anywhere and everywhere.
Inevitably, I have lost them numberless times. They've been found in an endless list of places. Incalculable occasions. Myriads of reasons. I get frustrated with myself every time. I've made pacts with myself and even offered myself rewards if I would just keep them in a safe place when I take them off. It hasn't worked in 8 years!
Well, they went missing last week. And were gone for a week! Eek! I'm usually okay with them being gone for an hour or two because I can always check my "usual" places and find them pretty quickly. (I know you're thinking....who is this girl who just throws around diamonds and $$?) I couldn't find them this time. A day passed. Then two. I looked. Didn't find them. I looked some more. Then, Straight Arrow looked. Didn't find them. That's not a good sign. He can always find them! Days passed and I began to be really worried about it. My husband suggested to me that I pray about it and I agreed. I prayed for several days that the Spirit would help me, lead me, guide me to these rings. I didn't find them, but the thought occurred to me that I should look through the garbage, just for kicks! I didn't, knowing that there was no way my rings were in the trashcan. I looked for a week and didn't find them. I offered the kids a quarter for whoever found them for me.
Come Saturday morning (same day my appendix went down in history)...Straight Arrow suggested that we gather the recycling and the garbage and take it all out. Those promptings came back to my mind and I told him that in order to have peace of mind, I just had to look through the garbage before it got taken to the dumpster. I was busy getting things ready to go to my mom's house for the day and before I knew it, he was sifting through the disgusting kitchen can which was stocked full of gross leftovers, scraps, and who knows what. He got to the bottom without finding anything of value. He said, "On to the bathroom can." After a few minutes of searching this much cleaner can, I heard him call for the kids and the thought occurred to me that he was going to let them bring me my rings so that they could each have a quarter. But reality struck, "my rings can't be in the trash!"
A minute later I had two very excited children running to me each with a ring in their hand. My rings were in the garbage!
What a very blessed week we had last week between this incident and my whole hospital incident. I am so thankful that even though I didn't listen immediately to the promptings of the Spirit, I did finally act on them because if I hadn't, they would have never been found...and would have ended up in the landfill. I am also very grateful for a husband who was willing to sift through the garbage for me, just in case.
The ending to this story:
The kids each earned a quarter.
Straight Arrow did too.
The rings--they have found a safe place to live

I'm not abandoning them altogether, but I've decided that since my habit has only worsened in the last 8 years instead of improving, these beauties will be resting most days.....unless it's a pretty special day! ;)
2 comments:
I'm so glad that you found them! I leave mine around in random places around the apartment too. I'm not wearing mine more often than I do. So by the time I've realized that I can't find my ring, it's been days if not weeks since the last time I wore it, so I always forget the last place it was. Not that I don't love my ring, it sure is pretty, but Eli doesn't appreciate the scratchs the lovely diamond leaves on him sometimes.
So I'm glad yours are safe and sound.
...Oh, and I made the bread, I'll have to tell you the story sometime. It was going to be the perfect loaf, but at the last minute before I put it in the oven, it was ruined :( I hate wax paper!!
Wow, I never wore my diamond after fear of losing it or scratching one of the kids (I wore just a plain band). Last year I bought a new ring that has the diamonds set into the ring so I can wear the sparkle all the time. I only take it off to shower and sometimes swim (if I remember). I lose my keys often enough to not try for something more expensive!
Post a Comment