Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Perfection.

One thing about me: I'm a homemade bread girl at heart. I haven't always known this. In fact, I've lived most of my life not knowing this. But I discovered my true love a little over a year ago. Before then, I had tried making my own bread, but failed miserably. Our personalities just didn't mix. But then it clicked when we started grinding our own wheat. And we've been in love ever since!


Now, my bread doesn't always turn out so well formed, perfectly golden browned, and so meltingly soft on the inside. And as such, when this loaf waltzed right out of the oven yesterday afternoon, my camera practically leaped into my little hands. Unfortunately, it's splendor didn't last long. The entire loaf virtually disappeared slice by slice by nightfall. Between the bread, a little honey butter, and our new freezer jams, we were in 7th heaven!

I know I've shared this recipe before on my old blog, but here it is again...just because it's that good!
Homemade Wheat Bread

1 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F.)
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons oil
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons dry yeast

Put all ingredients in the bread machine in the order listed. Set on dough cycle. When dough cycle is finished, take dough out and shape into a loaf in a greased bread pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20-45 minutes (until doubled). Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

7 comments:

Amy B. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy B. said...

Hi,

Looks great! Could you email me the recipe? I would love to try it.
~Amy

Kristin Jones said...

Looks delish!

Dianna said...

I am going through the bread making woes right now. I recently bought a bread machine but I just can't find a good recipe. We are getting low on wheat right now and with the shortage I am afraid to use ours! Also, Charles cringes every time I say wheat bread. Should I take the plunge and try it anyway? I'm desperate to learn how to bake bread. Help!

Karen said...

What do I do if I don't have a bread maker? What are the modifications to the recipe? Looks delicious! You should do a class on bread making, because it really is an art.

Troop 220 said...

I love this recipe. It looks pretty easy, but then again I'm not much of a bread maker. I have never made bread. I just collect recipes. I will definately give this one a go. Thanks! I have been making apricot jam and am moving onto plum. I think those will be yummy on homemade bread. :)

Angelfish said...

Thanks for posting the recipe! I hate to waste good flour on inferior recipes! - but why can't I copy and paste it? Oh, okay, guess I'll go get a pen...