Sunday, August 10, 2008

Cookies Galore...

Watch out Neiman Marcus. We have your coveted cookie recipe. And we put it to good use.

All who know me, know that I'm an independent girl. I like to do things...and I don't want any help. It's not that I don't appreciate others' help or think my way is better or anything of the sort. But if there's something I can do for myself, I want to do it. So, it should have been no surprise to those around me that about a month before Rest Area was born, I took on the task of preparing enough freezable meals to get me through 2-3 weeks postpartum. Part of that process also included making enough cookie dough to last Straight Arrow a good, long while. He loves homemade cookies and I wanted to have enough dough that he could savor his cookies while I recovered from my cesarean.
How many is that, you may ask?

The meals proved to be invaluable as did the cookie dough. It was so convenient to pop in a few dough balls for dessert, for Family Home Evening, or a late-night snack without having to make a whole batch. And so, it's basically become a tradition around here. I still double many of my recipes and freeze half. I usually have about a 14 meal selection available in the freezer. And we also have bags of dough balls just waiting to be cooked too.

Yesterday since we were out of dough balls, have new neighbors that we wanted to welcome, and needed to mix up a new batch, we decided to try cooking up all of the dough and then freezing the actual cooked cookies. They looked and smelled
Neiman Marcus Cookies

2 cups butter (we use 1 cup margarine and 1 cup butter)
2 tsp baking soda
5 cups blended oatmeal (measure oatmeal first and then blend in blender to a fine powder)
2 cups brown sugar
8 oz chocolate bar, grated
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla
4 cups flour
2 cups sugar
24 oz chocolate chips
1 tsp salt
4 eggs
3 cups chopped nuts

Cream butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix together flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add chocolate chips, chocolate bar, and nuts. Roll into balls. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet and bake 10 minutes or less at 375. Makes 9 dozen.

6 comments:

Danielle said...

I did the meals when I was pregnant with Ryan. I had 30 meals ready to go when he was born. It was SOOOO helpful.

Stephers said...

There is nothing better than eating a partially thawed cookie! I love those. Also, we used frozen cookie dough to bake a few cookies before showing our home for sale a couple years ago... the house always smelled great and it was so easy.

Unknown said...

My goodness. You and Danielle both amaze me! SOmetimes I wish I could go back and be as good as the 2 of you! And of, course, Wendy shows me up as well!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rhonda said...

I agree you are very independent. When I came after Roundabout was born you wouldn't let me do anything. Thank you for the cookie recipe.

Chad Scribner said...

We made these today for tonight's FHE treat. They are yummy. (yes I sampled early). I have received this recipe several times, but it is always a little different. I think the blended oatmeal is what makes these the best!