On a roll.
This week. It's been a grand one. And yesterday, I even had a little time alone. Straight Arrow took the older kids on a long outing while Rest Area rested. At first, I didn't know what to do with myself! But I quickly came to my senses, perused my long list of future projects, and decided to embark on one. It was a quickie! Crayons....on a roll! I've been dying to make this for a few months. But since it serves absolutely no real purpose other than being totally cute, I hadn't made it....yet....until yesterday.
- I used two pieces of fabric 5 X 16 1/2 inches (for the outside and inside), one 6 X 16 1/2 inch piece of fabric folded in half lengthwise and pressed (for the pocket), one piece of lightweight fusible interfacing 5 X 16 1/2 inches, one package of ric rac trim, 30 inches of ribbon, and one package of 16 count crayons.
- Iron the interfacing to the wrong side of the 5 X 16 1/2 piece of fabric that you want to be on the inside.
- Line up the bottom edges of the folded piece and the piece with interfacing, pin together. Starting over from the edge 1 1/4 inches sew lines parallel with the edge starting from the top of the crayon pocket, back-stitching at the top to reinforce. Sew the lines one inch apart across the pocket. You will have 1 1/4 inches on each side.

- Take your ric rac and pin it around the edge completely on the inside edge of the fabric. Don't let it hang over the edge any. Fold the ribbon in half and pin it on the edge.
- Pin your other piece of 5 X 16 1/2 inch fabric right sides together with the pocket piece. Sew around edges with 1/4 inch seam allowance. Leave one short side open so that you can turn it.
- Turn it, press with a hot iron to fuse the front and back together, and then top stitch all the way around.
- Slip your pretty crayons all inside...

- Roll it up, tie it up, and

- Now look...you're all done! Wasn't that easy?!

I can't wait to take this to church and let the kids color with their crayons that are each nestled in snug like a bug in a rug!
4 comments:
Very cute. Looks like a great thing for taking crayons on the go. Thanks for the idea.
That is so cute. I bet roundabout loved it. It seems like her kind of thing
Such a cute little project.
Very cute. I need to get back to crafts. I feel like I do NOTHING crafty lately. Oh well.
Post a Comment