Thursday, September 4, 2008

My (and her) little heart.

Yesterday, little Roundabout bounded off of the bus as usual and was talking a mile a minute telling me about her day and all the fun things she got to do at school. She and her friend, Madelin, already had plans of having a play date with each other and immediately started begging to play for the afternoon. I agreed as she tossed me her backpack and she headed over to play for a while. Big Green Light wanted to play outside with his buddy and so we stayed outside to play while Roundabout was gone.

Roundabout is a stickler for rules and I have no fears of her ever misbehaving at school. As I opened up her backpack to see how much of her lunch she had eaten, I saw a note from the teacher inside. Excitedly, I pulled it out thinking that it was a note praising my child's good behavior and politeness...but instead, I read this:
"Roundabout was sad this morning. She cried and asked me to call "mommy" so she could go home. I said that if she had a good afternoon she could get an award for staying all day. Ms. T"

My heart sunk and I wanted to talk to her right then about her rough day. I know how innocent and sensitive she is. I know how much she loves spending time with our family. I know how much of a homebody and momma's girl she is. I know how much she 's dreaded Kindergarten and how she begged to be homeschooled. I know how I would have loved to have hugged her, held her, and comforted her.

So, I've struggled with it all day. There's nothing I can do...and it's a fact of life that we all grow up. How do I find the balance of comforting her to let her know how much I love her and letting her grow up in this big, rough world? As I was driving home from the store tonight, I Am a Child of God came on our cd player and it brought tears to my eyes to think of how I love her, but moreso how much our Heavenly Father loves her too.

I need advice!

5 comments:

Danielle said...

Give me a call if you want to talk. I love you!

Stephers said...

I wouldn't get too worried about it, since she just started, and the day is pretty long. I would talk to her about it and ask her what she thinks would help her make it through the day. You could also start a sticker/treat chart at home for the days she has a good day. Also with my daughter, I tell her to try to learn one new name a day. She doesn't always remember, but it does help her to try to make friends.

Anonymous said...

So sad, it makes me want to cry. I would talk to her and see why she was crying and ask her what she thinks could make things better

Rhonda said...

She is so smart. I know as you talk it out she will have great ideas to help her through the day. Give her a big hug from me and tell her I love her.

Heather said...

I am struggling with the same thing! Although Parker does love it at school, I'm the one that feels like I'm throwing him out in the crazy world without me there to protect him! He came home from school today and had a major scrape on his arm from falling down at school and I just wanted to cry cuz I wasn't there for him! You're not alone!