Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Pint Sizers.

Yesterday was the big day; my first encounter with the
There was a little bit of anxiousness in me, just wondering if I had all of the ingredients and if everything would go well with five pint-sizers around my kitchen table...but this little guy was full of
Snack Attack was our theme and we started with Hot Curlers. It was a great recipe for practicing lots of new techniques. Just to name a few: measuring, stirring, working with dough, spreading, rolling, and then of course
That was everyone's favorite, I think! They couldn't have brushed on enough milk for themselves. We had to get those done quick so that they could bake and cool.

Don't worry, we didn't sit around waiting for the oven to ding. We had other business to take care of. Namely:
These little guys are great protein-packed snacks! Talk about peanut butter, milk, wheat germ, sesame seeds, and a dash of honey...they are healthy! The kids loved making their bee stripes with the cocoa dipped toothpicks and giving their bees wings to fly! In fact, some bees ended up with five or six wings.

Time was ticking and I was hopping! Next on the agenda: cinnamon snails. My hands were pretty messy and so the camera didn't get clicked. But if you're ever in the mood for some yummy cinnamon rolls without the hassle of making the dough, you should totally try these!

Last on our 90-minute agenda: Apple smiles! The kids thought it was hilarious when I asked them if an apple had ever smiled at them?!? Well, I can now safely say that an apple has indeed smiled at them. And...
We finished up just in the knick of time to wash our hands again, sing a few honeybee songs, and snap a class photo! I was one tired momma by the end of the day, but we had a blast!
Alright pint sizers, I'm gearing up to see you again in 2 weeks! Check the class blog for more pictures!

Honeybees

½ C peanut butter
1 T honey
1/3 c dry milk
2 T sesame seeds
2 T wheat germ
Unsweetened cocoa powder
Sliced almonds

In a mixing bowl, mix together the peanut butter and honey. Stir in the dried milk, sesame seeds, and wheat germ until well mixed.

Using a teaspoon at a time, shape the peanut butter mixture into ovals to look like bees. Dip a toothpick into cocoa powder and then press gently across the top of the bees to make stripes. Stick in almonds for wings. Chill 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Makes 28.

Cinnamon Snails

4 slices of soft texture bread
¼ C cream cheese
3 T sugar
1 ½ t cinnamon
¼ C melted butter or margarine

Trim the crusts from the bread slices. Spread 1 T of the cream cheese on each piece of bread. Roll up the bread slices with the cream cheese on the inside. Cut each roll into thirds.

Stir together sugar and cinnamon. Dip each roll into butter and then into cinnamon sugar (do not dip the swirly ends of the rolls) Place rolls, seam side down on a ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes, or until light brown and crisp. Makes 12.


Hot Curlers

1 can (2 1/4-ounce) deviled ham
1/2 cup shredded Swiss, cheddar, or Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 package (10) refrigerated biscuits
Milk or water
Directions: In a small bowl combine the deviled ham, cheese, and mustard. Set aside. Separate biscuits; pat or roll each into a 4-inch circle. Spread each circle with about 1 tablespoon of the ham mixture. Roll up jelly-roll style.

Grease muffin pan. Place two rolled up biscuits, side by side, in each muffin cup, curving each into a U-shape with the open end up. Using a pastry brush or your finger, brush rolls with milk or water.

Bake in a 350 degrees oven for 20 to 25 minutes or till golden brown; remove. Serve warm. Wrap and store any remaining in the refrigerator.


Apple Smiles

Apple
Peanut Butter
Miniature Marshmallows Cut apples into wedges. Smear peanut butter on one side of 2 wedges. Stick a few marshmallows on the peanut butter on one of the apple wedges and top with the other apple wedge - peanut butter side down. When you look at this it looks like a smile (the red part of the apple are the lips and the marshmallows are the teeth!)

7 comments:

Haylee said...

Wow! That looks like so much fun!!

Chad Scribner said...

Wish we lived close enough to enroll.

Rhonda said...

I wish the grandkids could all live close. They would all love it.

Charlotte said...

Good job! I am glad the 1st class was a sucess (and I bet you slept well that night!)

Anonymous said...

That sounds exhausting. I don't think you get paid enough. I wish we lived close. Spencer would love that

Angelfish said...

Ok. Seriously. you have more energy than anyone I know. Those HATS and APRONS(!) - how adorable! tell me you didn't make them.

Tiffany said...

I'm glad it went well for you. Was that your first class?