We were so blessed to only have to wait two weeks to get into see a Pediatric Cardiologist at UNC Hospital. After listening to Green Light's heart, the cardiologist said that heart murmurs are rated on a scale of 1 to 6, 6 being the loudest. Green Light's was a 2 and that he wouldn't be worried about it except for the fact that he could hear the murmur over the Atrial Valve. So, to make a long heart appointment even longer, he ordered an immediate
to examine his heart.
to examine his heart."An echocardiogram is a test in which ultrasound is used to examine the heart. In addition to providing single-dimension images, known as M-mode echo that allows accurate measurement of the heart chambers, the echocardiogram also offers far more sophisticated and advanced imaging. This is known as two- dimensional (2-D) Echo and is capable of displaying a cross-sectional "slice" of the beating heart, including the chambers, valves and the major blood vessels that exit from the left and right ventricle Sticky patches or electrodes are attached to the chest and shoulders and connected to electrodes or wires. These help to record the electrocardiogram (EKG) during the echocardiography test. The EKG helps in the timing of various cardiac events (filling and emptying of chambers). The images are constantly viewed on the monitor. It is also recorded on photographic paper and on videotape. The tape offers a permanent record of the examination and is reviewed by the physician prior to completion of the final report."
Green Light was more than willing to sit through the echocardiogram because they offered him the choice between Bob the Builder or Dora to watch while it was going on. Nice. He was a perfect angel!
The final verdict: Yes, he does have a murmur, but it is considered "innocent". He has no need for premedication or restrictions in exercise. The murmur could stay with him for a year or it may stay for ten years. Luckily for him, he'll only have to develop a "broken heart" in sense that the Lord meant it!
5 comments:
Don't you love UNC. All the doctors I have seen have been so good to us. I feel like they are very considerate of the patient and parents.
Good thing there are no exercise restrictions. It's hard enough to get little kids to sit still during church, let alone getting them to take it easy ALL THE TIME! I'm glad it's not a huge problem though...and I'm getting very excited to come see you and the rest of the road sign family!
I'm glad it turned out to be not a big deal. How frightening!
His Grandpa had a heart murmur all of his life. I am so happy it is an innocent one.
I am glad everything turned out well. I am sure that was a very scary time as you waited for the results. I hate waiting!
Post a Comment