Saturday, October 25, 2008

Fair weather Fans.

One of my favorite things instilled in me by my dad is the North Carolina State Fair. It's a huge ordeal in North Carolina, something that must be attended each and every year. Straight Arrow and I have mused ourselves every year for a long time and this year was no different. Without further adieu, here are the North Carolina State Fair Top Ten (but in no particular order):

10. Enough "Deep Fried" to give yourself a heart attack on the spot
We only indulged ourselves with one of the many picks: A deep-fried Snickers candy bar. It's really quite delightful compared to some of the other sights we saw. I really have no desire to have deep-fried PB&J, Pecan Pie, Pickles, Twinkies, Cheeseburgers, Oreos, Green Tomatoes, or Mac&Cheese. I'm just not feeling it, folks. The signs say "It's a Southern Thing!", but I'm here to say that I was born and raised in the South...and it's NOT a Southern thing!

9. A Delightful (and Expensive) Carousel ride
There's nothing special about fair rides that should make them so darn expensive...but they are anyway. But in the end, what's $4 when it makes your little girl feel special?

8. Reassurance that your family is indeed "normal"
There's many sights to see at the State Fair if you're a people-watcher. Yes, many. We'll just leave it at that. I am happy to say that I have a beautiful and quite normal family.

7. Maple Cotton Candy
If you haven't tasted it, then you probably missed one of THE best parts of the fair. Normal pink and blue cotton candy will taste disgusting to you after you've tasted this stuff. It's part of what brings me back to the fair each year! Seriously! It's made from real Vermont Maple syrup. Yum...

6. Magic Show
We ran into a kids magic show along the way. The kids loved it and the magician was really quite talented! Roundabout was enthralled with the many tricks this guy had up his sleeve.

5. Baby Blue Eyes!
I know I posted this picture a few days ago, but I love it. And so, you get it again!

4. Pirate's Obstacle Course
Green Light was not interested in the Carousel, but quickly spotted something for himself. What little 3-year old Pirate-lover could turn down a pirate adorned rope ladder, obstacle course, plank-walk, and the biggest slide he's ever seen? Not this one. He loved it so much that he went twice!

3. Pickles!
Straight Arrow is not a fan, but the rest of us are! It's a rip-off, I know, to pay .50 for a pickle. But I can never resist the Mt. Olive pickle stand. I love the Plain Dill ones!

2. The smells
Other than the cigarette smoke you will encounter, the smells of all of the food is very enticing! Yes, it may give you a heart attack on the spot, but perhaps it's worth it for your once a year fair experience? We've had Giant Turkey legs in the past that are tasty, but we passed them up this year in the name of our health.

1. A fun family tradition!
It's something that we look forward and will start to be a great tradition our children can look forward to also.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh Man! It seems like everyone I know is getting out to go to state fairs, or pumpkin patches. I really need to get out and enjoy the fall activities. Looks like you guys had tons of fun!

Charlotte said...

How come nobody told me about the state fair until after I moved away? That looks like so much fun. I think you can get a heart attack by reading about deepfried snickers.

Anonymous said...

when I saw you were at the state fair my first thought was, I wonder if Scott got his fried snickers this year. I am guessing yes.

Gina said...

Yes, he did indeed. He loves those fried Snickers. We all had a taste of it. I admit that I like it, but I'm not sure it's worth the hefty price.

Tiffany said...

I want to try a deep fried snickers so bad. Seriously. This thought has been brewing in my mind for about two years now. Apparently, it's not a Utah thing though :)

Rhonda said...

About the pickles, straight arrows mom is not a big fan. I remember how fun it was going to the fair with you. No snickers that year.

Stephers said...

We went to the Eastern Idaho Fair up in Blackfoot a few years ago... that is when we had our first fried snickers. Very good! Then we went to the Utah State fair and our daughter got a scary E. coli infection... yeah we might not go back to the utah fair.