Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Funny Moments.

As a parent, I try to let my child's action determine his/her consequences.
Obedient, considerate, and polite behavior obviously earns privileges while the opposite behaviors deny themselves the privileges that they would like to enjoy. I TRY really hard to stick to this, even though it is often a punishment for me to have to come inside from the playground because it takes me away from my friends, too. Alas, it's all for the best in the end, right?

Anyway, yesterday Green Light and his sidekick buddy, took off running away from me at the playground for the second time. We had talked about it after the first time and he knew what that the consequence would be going inside if it happened again. Well, a few minutes later, we were headed inside for the day.

Me: (with him seated on my lap inside) Green Light, do you know why we had to come inside from the playground?
Him: Yeah. I ran away. And that's NOT safe!
Me: You're right. It's not safe. Do you know why it's not safe?
Him: No.
Me: You could get lost...or hurt...or there might be a stranger...etc....
Him: Or a tiger or a lion could eat me?

Some days, it's hard to keep a straight face while dishing out the consequences.

5 comments:

Katie Smith said...

I'm sorry that my boy is the bad example. i wish i was as good at disciplining him as you are with yours. i just have such a long way home to walk....

Gina said...

Oh Katie! He isn't...they are in it together...just little boys! Please don't feel like I was putting you down in any way. I think you're a fabulous mom!

Haylee said...

Hehehe

Anonymous said...

treyton said almost the exact same thing when kristen had that conversation with him. He said a dog though instead of jungle animals.

Rhonda said...

He is so clever and definitely is a major thinker. Thank goodness for those humorous moments. They keep us all going.