I've been in labor.
My water has been fully broken.
I've had pneumonia.
I've had the flu.
I've run high fevers.
I've had an appendicitis!
And most recently...
I have a combination of these three: laryngitis, bronchitis, and an ear infection.
Yet, I'm never convincing enough to a doctor....
"If you were in real labor, you would not be smiling."
"You wouldn't be so happy if your water was really broken."
"Just hang tight. I think you'll get better in a few days."
"I think you're okay. Just try some tylenol."
"There's no explanation for the fever. Come back if you have more symptoms."
"Your story just doesn't check out. Most people who are having an appendicitis don't act quite like you."
And just today...
"It could be bacterial. But it could be viral. Be careful; there's pneumonia on campus. We'll just let you be your own gauge. Come back if your cough and fever get worse."
Perhaps I have a high pain tolerance. Maybe I smile too often. I guess you're not supposed to be able to smile if you are sick or in labor or having an appendicitis.
Either way, I am not a convincing sick person.
6 comments:
Rod thought I wasn't in pain when in labor because I would be joking around and laughing. I took one pain pill with Gary and it slowed down my labor so I went natural with the other 5. It is so wonderful to do it that way. I am glad you smile a lot. It makes the world a better place. Get well. Complain more next time.
I have finally learned (after they ignored me while in labor with #4 because I seemed to happy) to act as sick as I feel at least for the doctor. Then I can go on living the happy life even when ill. Dr's just don't believe what you say, only how you appear and act :) Feel better soon!
I am the biggest baby you will ever meet. The doctors ask me to take pain pills so I will stop screaming in pain.
I have a high pain tolerance, too. Nurses didn't believe me about labor, too, till they checked me and I loved watching their faces go from "I'll just humor her," to "I bet get moving, this baby is coming!"
BTW, I would get a different doctor. I know my husband realizes some people have high pain tolerance and don't act "normal." He's learned to listen to those people, too. Maybe thats because he's seen me in labor 6 times.
Thats awful!~~I have the opposite problem, I never believe the doctors...they say here give your kid this medicine and I think to my self "no I will just wait it out"or they say we had better test for this or that and I think "no I dont think that is what is wrong"
I have the same problem. I went through 6 weeks of bootcamp before they found out I had strep throat, the flu, and an ear infection! Not that long ago I was in the emergency room with a viral infection and they told me to go home and just sleep it off....I COULDN'T EVEN SWALLOW!! Crazy doctors...where do they get their training. If you study science you know that not everything is exact!
Post a Comment