Saturday, November 1, 2008

Tradition.

I believe in tradition.
I believe that tradition makes stronger families.
I believe that tradition creates fun family memories lasting a lifetime.
And so, we've added a a new family tradition this year. You can add it to your family, too!

Autumn is my favorite time of year. I love Thanksgiving. I love the opportunity that we have to give thanks to the myriad of blessings that our Heavenly Father has given us and continues to bless us with on a daily basis. When we stop and think about the wonderful blessings that God has afforded us, it is no secret that God truly loves us, He knows us, and showers blessings upon us. So, while October is the month of Halloween anticipation, I welcome the first day of November to begin really focusing on a month full of Thanks and Giving.

This year in an effort to help every member of our family remember not only remember our bounteous blessings, we also are focusing on giving. I printed off two bare trees for each member of our family. Every evening starting November 1, we will each write something we are thankful for on a leaf to put on our Thanks tree. On another leaf, we will write one thing that have done that day to serve or give to others. We'll place it on our Giving tree. Serving can be as simple as sharing a toy, smiling at someone, giving a compliment to someone, or even writing a kind note.

I know that this tradition will help us all realize just how wonderful life really is. It will cause our hearts to be filled with gratitude for the tender mercies that Heavenly Father blesses us with. It will also help us to be more aware of our surroundings in Thanks and Giving. It will also help open our eyes to the endless service opportunities that we have around us to help spread kindness and goodness to others.

**I meant to post the link of where I saw this idea so that you could all use it if you wished! By the time I typed up the post, I must have forgotten. So, here it is!
http://chocolateonmycranium.blogspot.com/2008/10/thanks-and-giving.html

8 comments:

Team Heaton said...

Thanks! (no pun intended!:)) I think I'll be using that idea- I love it.

Danielle said...

I am stealing yet another of your great ideas! Where did you get it so I can give credit if I post it on my FHE site.

Stephers said...

That's a great idea!

Gina said...

I meant to post the link on my blog for anyone who wanted to use this idea! But I forgot. So, here it is.

http://chocolateonmycranium.blogspot.com/2008/10/thanks-and-giving.html

Sarah said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Charlotte said...

That is a great idea. Thanks.

Justin & Jennifer Olsen said...

I love it! We started tonight as one of our new family traditions. Thanks so much for sharing a great idea. Hope all is going well with you guys.

Brenda said...

That is a really good idea, thanks for sharing!