A meaningless conversation struck up between my sister-in-law and me a few nights ago has led to the demise of my blog these past few days.
Yes, I do blame it on her.
It's her fault.
But nonetheless, here's the truth:
Despite following the crowd and putting my 5 year old into Kindergarten this year even though she made it clear that she did not want to go...
Despite forever defending a public school education and trying to feel good about my decision....
Despite volunteering in the classroom as much as my life would allow to try to appease an uncomfortable Kindergartner...
Despite spending an inordinate amount of time debriefing her from her day and trying to "undo" some of the damage that had been done...
Despite reading books and having seemingly endless discussions on having a positive attitude, "Don't worry about what other people say", dealing with the school bully who happens to sit right next to you, and other equally important conversations...
Despite saying that "I would never" consider private school and most definitely not home school...
I am indeed considering and exploring the possibility of me, yes ME, being the teacher for my children. Yes, I think I want to be a home schooler.
A simple "status update" regarding this matter on my Facebook yesterday has elicited quite the response. So, what do you think? I'd love to hear from licensed teachers, mothers, friends, and the like (that's everyone).
15 comments:
I think you are a wonderful teacher and will have a very positive impact on being your children's teacher. That said I would like to stress the importance of socialization and making sure there is adequate time and opportunity to socialize with people their own age. We both know your kids are brilliant and will easily pass any subject you could throw at them. Yet as we have discussed before nobody wants their kids to be the weird ones that don't know how to play with other kids. I have no fear of this with yours but just a thought. I have heard of times where the kids can go to certain classes at a school and then home school other times so maybe look into that. Or just teach her for a year or two till she feels more comfortable with the idea. Those are my thoughts on the matter I think you will do a truly awesome job teaching them simply because you have done such a great job so far.
Studies have shown that social development is usually not negatively impacted by being home-schooled for elementary school and middle school. With your kids attending church and having play dates, I think they will be fine. I would definitely check with the school to see what resources they offer, if any. You could enroll her in gymnastics or some other group-type class to allow her the chance to get instruction in a group format too.
But you also never know... when you move the new school could be totally different and you may feel more comfortable. But this age is when they should be loving to learn, and that can't happen with a bully sitting next to her!
I do not have much advice but I know you could do it and do awesome at it! You seem to be great at everything! You should talk to Darci Burke. She loves it. They do school stuff in the morning and finish around 12:00 or so. Then they have all afternoon to play around and explpore etc...Good Luck with your desicion!!!
I was always on the borderline of homeschooling, but have been impressed with the public schools so far. We had a rough half year when we first moved here and if we had to stay in that district, we would have homeschooled.
Having lived in 3 states and 4 districts, I can tell you that each one is completely different, so maybe you will have better luck in your new place. The one we're in now is FANTASTIC.
I am not sure there is enough room here to discus my feelings with you, but I would love to talk with you soon. Having taught in an excellent public school for 8 years and knowing many exceptional teachers I always felt that I would send my kids to school. In fact I felt it was un-American and hypocritical not to. I imagined myself as PTA president, my children learning to "fit in with society," and achieving academically and socially, with me as their guide through the 13 years. I didn't want to take my strong parental support out of the public schools. That being said, I still firmly believe in the need for quality public schools. They provide a much needed and crucial service. However I have never met a teacher who felt like he or she was able to be all they wanted to be for his or her students. We study and lean about the needs of individuals, learning styles, and helping each child grow from where he or she is. We spell this out to the parents as our goals for their children. But the reality of public education is that we can not do it with the current structure of the schools in our country, no matter how hard we try. (I worked 80 hours or more a week attempting to accomplish this). I can best give my children the individualized education they need at home. There is no busy work, no wasted time standing in line for the bathroom, sitting silently in the cafeteria, walking to and from specials.
As far as the socialization goes, who is to say that the socialization received at school is the best for your child. Just because it is what is "normal" does not mean it is healthy. What could possibly have been healthy about a sweet 5 year old being tormented by a classmate to the point that she feared going to school? I just read an excellent book on the subject of socialization and home school. Although those who do not homeschool have a misconception about this issue, actual studies show that children who homeschool are more adept socially, have better self- esteems and make the transition to college much easier than their peers who went to public schools. I don't know about your "real world", but the one I live in right now does not include peers who hit me, yell at me, or call me names. Sorry, like I said I am also trying to make the same decision right now and have a flood of emotions and ideas. Perhaps we should just talk soon. -After I typed all this I saw Chad was logged in, but it is actually Danielle and I am NOT retyping this!
Gina...
I have no doubt you would be great at that! I know 3 awesome mommies around here who homeschool their darling kids - One of which has 6 kids at home! I would love to give you their emails and I know they would be happy to answer any questions etc. you may have! Either way - you know your kids and what will be best for them! Good luck!
Hi, Gina. I'm one of Scott's friends from Lehi a long time ago. I just found him on facebook, and followed the link to your blog. Ironic that this is your most recent blog post because I was homeschooled up until high school and am now a professor of education (or will be in May). So I can speak a little bit from experience and from academic studies.
Public school exists for the greater good, but in many, many individual circumstances, homeschooling is a terrific option. Especially with younger kids, the public schools simply cannot beat the benefit of a mom who loves the child dearly teaching the child one on one.
One-on-one education + love of a parent = fabulous learning environment.
In fact, we home taught our first grader last year. We were very, very busy, and felt guilty that we could only dedicate about two hours a day to teaching her. Only two hours, and yet she jumped about two grade levels in only one year! This year we had to put her back in school for various reasons, but we wish we could homeschool her still. It's amazing how efficiently a child can learn away from the distractions at school and still have loads of time for creative play--WHICH IS SORELY LACKING IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS UNFORTUNATELY.
OK, the biggest worry people will have for you is the socialization aspect. As far as I know, that is not a problem, it's a myth. Some homeschoolers end up socially backward and everyone assumes it was because they homeschooled--forgetting many other kids at school are socially backward too. The truth is that as a Mormon, your kids will get plenty of social interaction at Church. Plus, because homeschooling is so much more efficient, I never had homework after school. So I was always the first one knocking on neighbors' doors asking to play with their kids, going door-to-door finding someone without homework to play with me. So I had LOTS of social interaction.
Plus, to be honest, I'd rather have my kids socialized into my family's value system than into the school's. So don't worry, your kids will grow up able to talk to other people and have normal relationships just fine.
I'm connecting with Scott on Facebook, so if you have any questions, just give me an email. Homeschooling isn't for everyone, but it is awesome for some families.
I'm not qualified to give you much of an opinion, but I did just want to say that I actually think it sounds pretty great--and you would be an amazing teacher. Something to pray about for sure, but I know you could definitely do it. = )
I'm so grateful for all of the comments!! I've had these commenters on here, emails, and even phone calls! It's definitely something that Scott and I are taking before the Lord. We obviously would only choose to make this decision by following the promptings of the Spirit for OUR family. I do realize that it isn't for everyone, but maybe it is for us.
Hey, Gorgeous.
My sister home schools. In fact, I've been helping her prepare transcripts for her oldest's college applications. She's home schooled since 2003 and the one thing that she's said over and over and over again is that each family should take it to the Lord. Her feeling is (and I think she's right) that you have to really know that it's what the Lord wants you to do--otherwise you won't stick with it.
She's taught classes for the stake women's day for the past 2 years. She also teaches classes for LDSHE conferences. I'm happy to give her your email address. I know she'd be happy to talk to you about this and give you some good book recommendations.
The Husband still isn't sold on the idea but I've already promised him that if I don't like the school system, if we can't afford private school, or more importantly if our kids are uncomfortable at school I will pull them out and home school before I make them repeat my experience in the public education system. I know it's hard. I've seen my sister do this for the past 6 years, but I also know that there are times when it's what that child/family really needs and in those cases--it's awesome.
I'll talk to you more about it at church. It's going to be fine...
Oh, Gina, you sound just like me. Your children will excel no matter what you do because you're a devoted mother. There will be valuable and possibly hard lessons learned for both of you if she stays, but there will also be hard and valuable lessons learned at home.
I never wanted to homeschool my children, it just sort of happened by default but I had to go back to work full-time 2 years ago. At that time I put my kids back in public school for a year while we adjusted to my new role as a working mom. My kids scored off the charts on the State Tests. My third grader achieved 100% on 2 of the assesment categories. All of their teachers asked me "What school did your kids attend previously? They're amazing!"
The social adjustment was no problem whatsoever because of ballet, soccer, community races, church, and sold family relationships.
Thankfully, I'm at home again. We started off the year in public school, but after six weeks my kids were begging to be homeschooled again. Six & Seven hour days are excessively long for these elementary aged children and the curriculum is designed to go at the pace of the slowest learners. If you have any questions write mediterraneanmommy@yahoo.com
Gina-
I have really enjoyed homeschooling Shay this year. It has taught me some really wonderful things I know that I needed to learn as a mother. Some days can be exhausting and challenging, but overall they are fun, sweet, and rewarding. I could go on and on and on about this subject. You would be wonderful at it. Good Luck!
Talk about a lot of interest. As a schoolteacher I know the ups and downs of the public system. Even as a Special ED teacher I have to teach to the most struggling learner and still try to help those who can move a little faster. It is very exhausting. I feel homeschooling is great when both parents are committed to it. I know you and know both of you would be wonderful. I know what you choose to do will be what is best for my grandchildren. You are super parents.
There is no cookie cutter mold for all kids. I personally wish I could home school Bop, but, well we have talked about why I probably won't.
Roundabout is so young right now that what is happening at school could really effect her in the long run.
Just because you home school right now doesn't mean you will always have to do it. It may come to the point that she asks to go back to public school.
I think homeschooling is fantastic. And this coming from a future teacher, if you can believe it.
My bias may have a bit to do with government indoctrination, but regardless, it might just be the best option out there. That or private school.
Post a Comment