I packed my little girl's lunch with a nutritious turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread, celery and carrot sticks, applesauce, and a granola bar. With the notion that if she ate all of her lunch, I also packed ONE miniature Reese's peanut butter cup in her lunch that she had gained from Trick-or-Treating. And true to the rule, she wasn't allowed to eat it.
A few months have passed since then and hey, it's Valentine's Day tomorrow. Can't the rule slide for the special pink and red Valentines lunch I packed? Peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwich on whole wheat bread, strawberry yogurt, red apple slices, and a love napkin. Such a meal isn't complete without something sweet that screams

Well, in case you were wondering, the rule didn't really budge for this holiday either.
Teacher: Those little cakes aren't healthy and you can't have those here at school. I'll let you have them just this one time, but don't bring them back again.
Me
Today was Roundabout's last day of public school Kindergarten. I'm taking it one day at a time and we'll finish this year out before we decide on next year's plans. But as for now, we're thrilled!
13 comments:
Yay!!! I'm so excited for your family. I hope it goes as well (or even better) than you envision it. And eat all the snack cakes you want! :)
That is a really weird rule.
I'm really happy for you guys-- I hope it goes well!
Your school would have died to see my kids' Valentine parties at school. We were asked to bring in cookies and treats! Good luck at home.
You didn't tell me about the vday snack thing! i think that is just crazy! we all need some sweets now and again!
I hate when schools think they should be the parents. Schools are only there to teach (and try to teach unbiasedly).
Glad I don't have kids there. I'd raise a big fuss :). If I want to give my kid a snack, I'll give them a stink'n snack.
They are telling you what you can put in your kids lunch!! Hello, no wonder you're going to homeschool. That is a terrible overstep of their authority, telling you what you can let your child eat in a lunch brought from home.
My kids aren't aloud to have candy as a snack in the classroom, but they can have whatever they want in lunch.
Sometimes I begin to wonder if I'm a super touchy person when these things get my dander up, but REALLY, who's child is it? Good luck! I'm sure she's soooo happy to be home with you.
That is the most RIDICULOUS thing I have ever heard!!!! Telling parents what they can and can't give their children! Who do they think they are! I am the kind of person who would make a scene! Especially if it is a public school!!!!! Crazy just crazy!
Another example of schools having to do what is best for the majority and not the individual. I do have to say as a teacher I was usually appalled at what parents sent to lunch with their kids and might have welcomed this kind of rule. (Although I think I could bend it for holidays). I understand why the rule was instituted though. It wasn't the occasional sweet that was the issue. It was the children who brought a lunchable (which they ate the candy and fruit juice out of, threw away the processed meat and cheese), a bag of chips, soda, cookies, and candy as their lunch EVERYDAY. Behavior of those kids was terrible, and the school faculty had to be the ones to deal with the behavior. I actually created a healthy lunch award, and gave stickers to kids who I caught with healthy lunches! I wouldn't want authority making nutritional decisions for my child either, though. Yet unfortunately I do understand how it came to that point. The thing that upset me the most were the children on free lunch who got their free lunch and then DAILY purchased ice cream, chips, and soda with that lunch with their own money, the cost of which was much more than the 2.15 lunch. (Which they didn't touch). I would have welcomed a ban on junk food sold in the cafeteria as a tax payer.
I am so happy that you can now do what is best for your little one and she doesn't have to suffer because her mommy believes in balance, not junk all the time.
That is just crazy. I can't believe they tell you that your kids can't have a treat. Talk about control issues! I think it is a good thing you pulled her out of the crazy school they have nothing but WEIRD rules there.
Good Luck, Let me know how things go!
Good luck with have cute little Roundabout at home. I have never heard of schools controlling what is in a child's lunch.
I have a great neighbor that homeschools and she always has great links and ideas on her blog deansacademy.blogspot.com. Her oldest is 10 and I don't think he has ever attended public school.
OMG Gina! My kids' school doesn't have any insane rules like that--if they did - I'd yank my kids out on principal alone - I hope you have a wonderful time homeschooling - it bet it feels liberating!
Post a Comment