Thursday, September 10, 2009

Deja Vu

Roundabout is a 4th Generation Junior Viking; meaning she is a Viking, I was a Viking, my Dad was a Viking, and my Grandpa was a Viking. Miss Roundabout attends the same school as her forbearers.

Back in the day when I was a Junior Viking, we had a schoolwide roller skating (not roller blading, mind you!) night at good ole' Skateland USA. I was the best! I remember going every month and getting my groove on out on that slick skate floor. Possibly the coolest thing to me, though, was seeing my teacher sitting over in the cafe booths and skating by to say hi.

I was ecstatic as I drove by the school one morning and read the latest announcements out on the street sign. It read: Skate Night. I squealed like a little girl!

We went, of course. Roundabout bounded off the school bus begging to go that night. Homework was quickly completed and we were off. Not a thing had changed. Not. A. Thing. in 20 years.

Same lights. Same decor. Same music. Same DJ voice. Same check-in booth. Same skate floor. Same nasty carpet. Same cafe booths. Same video games. Same bathrooms. Same lockers. Same skate games. Same speed skating round. Same limbo. Same choose a number game. Same big round, dirty benches. Same same same.

Roundabout took some warming up. She wasn't entralled with the motion at first, but by the end, she was getting into the groove. Just like the 57 year old lady who was out there totally busting the moves like it was 1966 again.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

5 comments:

Stephers said...

Kiersten's school had a skate night last year too... it was quite a sight to see all of our kids trying to skate for the first time, and I was also 7 months pregnant at the time! We ended up leaving early :-) How fun to keep up family traditions!

Allison said...

That is so awesome! I think they must have something like that here, too, because the skate rink down the road is always packed on Thursday nights.

Justin & Jennifer Olsen said...

How fun!!

Becky said...

Looks like fun! Crazy how some things never change :)

Mom at Our House said...

Fun! She looks terrified in the second pic, but other then that, she looks like she had a blast.