Saturday, December 5, 2009

Elf on the Shelf.

I've dreamed of him since last year. But I waited.
And today, delivered and hand-stamped straight from the North Pole was delivered a very magical box addressed to the Tucker children. Inside, the Official Seal of the North Pole sealed up it's contents. The contents: the elf on the shelf. Seriously, the greatest little guy ever!



The kids were abuzz as they opened the box. As they looked inside, they were perplexed. Why would Santa send us an elf?? But as I read the book and the story enclosed, it all made sense and their excitement rose. Santa instructed them to name the elf, submit it in the Official Book of Elves at the North Pole, and then the elf would become magical. He observes the good deeds each day and reports back to Santa at the North Pole each night returning before daybreak. Each morning upon return, he finds a new place to perch for the day. Simply ingenious.

The two oldest threw out elf names left and right: Eddie, Freddie, Elfie, Balthazar...until they agreed on Fisbee. Fisbee the elf. We left him on the mantle in the living room while we penned his name in the official elf book. And when Roundabout went back down to check on him, he was gone. He had moved. She made way up the stairs faster than ever before and the look on her face was priceless; "He IS magical. He's gone!" Later, we found him on the other mantle in the Keeping Room, just happily watching the goings and comings of our family.

And so, each of us is going out of our way to show kindness. The compliments were flying all evening long. Letters were written to Santa and carefully placed by Fisbee for him to take back to the North Pole tonight. The wonderment of Christmas is here. Fisbee will our guest until Christmas Eve; a guest I warmly welcome to our home.

A new tradition was born here today. If you have little ones, you've gotta check him out.

6 comments:

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

What a fantastic tradition! I love it!

Arbon Family said...

LOVE IT!!! I have wanted to order that book but never have. Maybe next year! So cute!!! Can't wait to hear more of your traditions- you always have the greatest ideas.

Kristin Jones said...

You took my next post out from under me. :) Don't you love him?!

Danielle said...

Rocket the Elf joined our family today! (Named Rocket by Andrew because he flies back to Santa every night).

Rhonda said...

Great tradition. It sounds like a good idea for all moms,dads and children everywhere.

Rebekah V. said...

THIS.IS.HAPPENING.AT.OUR.HOUSE.NEXT.YEAR. And that is all there is to it. I love it.