Thursday, May 27, 2010

So....

Every once in a while, I remember to check my stat counter just to see how many and where people are accessing my blog from. 

And every once in a while, it makes me slightly nervous...

I don't use our first names and I think I'm pretty safe in what I post.  But there's always that little bit of wonder in the back of my mind. 

My blog...it's just gotta be a pretty boring place to land unless you know us.  Our family and our personalities.    So why, oh why, does Kenya, Belguim, and Russia frequent my blog?

That same question I've asked before just keeps coming back.  Should I go private?

7 comments:

Lenore said...

How do you check your stat feed? That's troubling!

Allison said...

Hmm...that does sound a bit freaky.

Marti Family said...

We decided to last time I checked our stats. The world is a scary place now. The little bit I can do to make us feel even the tiniest bit safer I decided to do. If you make yours prive though let me know!!! I have gotten some great ideas from you! :)

Greg and louise said...

It certainly may be a good idea especially if you are feeling the least bit uncomfortable. You know about listening/following through on promptings. If you do, I hope you'll tell me how I can still check in. I love the stories and photography.

RT and M said...

I've noticed the same thing a couple of times (as I recall, it was India and Kenya), but it doesn't worry me too much because they never came back. Sometimes people randomly click links.

I guess you have to think about why you blog. I write my blog because I want people to read it, and I enjoy finding out that a long-lost friend found my blog and has been reading it. That wouldn't happen if it was private, because not everyone feels comfortable asking for an invite to read a private blog. But if your purpose in blogging is different, or if there's a safety concern, then of course going private might be a good move--I certainly won't criticize if that's what you decide.

If you do decide to go private, one thing I've seen people do is to make an updater blog, where you can let people know that you've updated your blog and maybe how they can get a hold of you if they want to be invited to read the private blog.

Katie Smith said...

DO NOT GO PRIVATE! i think it is from the "next blog" button on top of all the blogs. you just click "next blog" and end up on anyone's blog, from all over the world.

Katie Smith said...

and i agree with M.