Thursday, August 26, 2010

The birthday party bust.

Do you have one childhood birthday party that you remember in particular?  Well, I'm pretty sure we just attained that birthday party for the newly-turned-seven-year-old.  And let me add, not in a good way.

For over a year, she's dreamed of having a splash party.  She LOVES to swim and just had to have her next party at the swimming pool.  She's planned on it and talked about it since before she even turned six.  So, come birthday planning time this year, I knew exactly what we had to do.  While she would have preferred just to swim at the pool, I convinced her to do the water park at the YMCA.  It would be fun, was safe for non-swimmers, and it was outdoors with tables, chairs, and umbrellas. 


She was turning 7 and got to invite 7 friends.  This is a big deal, folks!  We sent out the invites and she even chose to have her party two whole weeks after her birthday so that her cousin and best friend, Callan, could attend.  Included were Callan, Kallee, MaryBeth, James, Elle, Cassie, and Savannah (who wasn't able to come), and then of course her brothers and cousins.


Now, please note that we frequent the YMCA water park rather often, though I never realized we hadn't gone on a weekend, only a week day.  The party was planned for 5pm on Saturday, the 14th.  I arrived a minute or two early, grabbed some tables, and set out the pizza.  I went up to the lifeguard desk, explained that we had invited some friends for a birthday party, and asked if I could pay for them in advance to swim.  They LET me pay my fee and I went on my way.


Now, here's where it all goes down in history.  Kids arrive.  They want to swim, but I convince them to eat pizza before it gets cold.  They eat.  Then, they run to the pool and swim for about 10, maybe 15, minutes before the lifeguard blows his whistle signaling that the pool is now closed.  CLOSED at 5:30pm.  CLOSED at 5:30 instead of the 7pm that they close during weekdays. 


I was so bummed.  Felt like a total failure.  I cried.  I was embarrassed!  I was angry.  I felt so sad for my little Roundabout.  Her birthday party began and ended in a matter of minutes.  So, we opened presents and cut the cake that I worked long hours on making that morning.  And we were cleaned up and gone before an hour was even over. 



I came home and cried while she played on the slip n' slide with a friend and her brothers.  She was sad, but was so understanding about it.  I'm pretty sure this one will go down in history in both of our books.  As for me, I will check schedules ahead of time from now on.

5 comments:

Stephers said...

Oh no!!! Bummer! At least the cake was the bomb.

Allison said...

Aww...I'm so sorry! That really stinks. Great, cake, though...I know she loved it!

Danielle said...

So sorry. I know how disappointing that had to have been. And how frustrating that nothing was mentioned when you paid.

The cake is lovely and reminds me of the ones your mom used to make like those.

Kristin Jones said...

What the crap that they are letting you pay and not giving you a friendly reminder of the closing time!!

Greg and louise said...

That was a bummer. At least for that little time there were lots of happy faces captured. The cake was really nice. My sweet sister (and your Mom) made one of those for me many, many years ago.