Saturday, October 16, 2010

Sparkle Plenty?

As you may know, we gave Roundabout the choice between homeschool and public school this year and she chose to try public school again.  Recently, her friend from school invited her to a birthday party at a location named Sparkle Plenty.  I looked it up online and found their website.  It looked harmless enough; fancy dresses, painted nails, make-up, and hair. 
And. so. we. went.

And my eyes were opened to a whole world I didn't realize was so prevalent at the grand age of 7.  The fancy dresses were terribly immodest showing as much skin as possible.  My Roundabout whispered in my ear, "Mom, there were no modest dresses to choose  from."  The painted nails were harmless, but nonetheless just added to the atmosphere.  Make-up was hideous and could most closely be compared to street-walker style.  And hair; whew.  It took three washings over the course of a week to get all of the hairspray and glitter out. 
I. was. mortified.

But it didn't end there.  Once they were dressed up to go out on the town (or Las Vegas), the "dancing" begun.  Each girl there knew the names of the latest pop artists, their albums, and the words to every single song.  The words, the messages; oh dear!  How can parents expose their children to such garbage?!  The messages of these songs was nothing but boyfriends, breakups, and everything that happened in between (the bed sheets).  My Roundabout hadn't a clue, didn't know these songs, and felt remarkably uncomfortably out on the dance floor.  The other girls sang their hearts out and somehow knew some very provocative dance moves.
I. couldn't. believe. my eyes.

Quitting time finally came and as we rode away, we discussed the atmosphere and the feelings that we both felt.  I came home, recapped the evening to Straight Arrow, and vowed to never again surround myself or my child with such filth.  And since then, I have contemplated the influence and example of all those school girls surrounding my child.  It's so disturbing to me.  And although I know that she knows the right way and the truth, why knowingly subject her to such influences at the age of 7?  Any thoughts?




 

3 comments:

Haylee said...

That's actually one of my many reasons for homeschooling when the time comes. We just don't live in the same world we grew up in, and I don't know that I would even call that a wholesome world back then! It's a tough spot other parents can put us in by letting that be acceptable for their children.

Ashley said...

I am truly shocked by the things parents think is harmless for their children, especially little girls.

My new kindergartner is asking why other kids do and wear things that she doesn't. It has been a great teaching tool to be able to show her that she can rise above it and be a good example to others.

Since I would not choose to homeschool right now, I feel, it's important to know my children's friends and their families. Also, I need to help my kids be confident in choosing the right.

Molly said...

!!!! Oh my Brittney Spears! Yeah.. I don't know what to say about that. The makeup and nails are one thing, but the lingerie is another.

It's tough, but I take comfort in knowing that I was surrounded by all kinds of stuff when I was in school and I came out alright. My parents taught me well and I knew right from wrong. I think one important lesson is to teach our kids to love others even when they don't have our same standards or make the same choices we do. Doesn't mean we have to send them into drinking parties or rated R movies, but... you know what I mean. She can be an example to others.