Friday, June 6, 2008

My wheels have been turning...

...Which means, I have an idea brewing in my mind. I wanted to see what other people think about it.

I've been tossing around ideas of teaching my own little kids cooking classes. My own love of cooking has sparked an interest in my children. I love pulling them into the kitchen with me for a little creativity time where they get to learn how to stir, pour, measure, and so many more things. I feel like so much learning takes place in the kitchen when kids are allowed to participate in the food making process. As a secondary, I've also found that as children get to participate in the preparation of a food, they are much more likely to try it and like it!

So, for these reasons, I'm thinking about opening up my own kitchen to teach children's cooking classes. I think I'd have a blast, my kids would, and I'd hope other children would! If I go through with the idea, I would have classes for ages 3-11, twice monthly. The fee would be $15 per child, per class. Each child would also receive his/her own chef's hat and apron on their first class.

What are you thoughts? I'd love some suggestions, tips, or questions! Do you think it would fly?

5 comments:

Kristin Jones said...

In the school district that I taught in, cooking was a summer school option, and it's always been a hit. Go for it!

Danielle said...

Sounds fun! A lady in our ward is doing it this summer for ages 5-11. Andrew is too young. Wish we could come to yours!

Tiffany said...

I think it's a fantastic idea! I wish I lived in North Carolina and was a kid. I would definitely sign up. True story.

Charlotte said...

I think it would be a fun idea, but I would suggest some kind of discount for more than 2 kids (that usually makes me more likely to sign up all my munchkins)

Arbon Family said...

Way cute idea!! I think you should do it for sure! Kids would love it!