A growing vocabulary.
I've recently been amazed at Roundabout's vocabulary. Maybe I'm just a proud mother, but I think this girl is brilliant! She's a 4 year old girl and she talks like she's 44. I've thought to take notice to some of her word choice lately...and I better write it down before I forget.
#1: Gazing
Her: "Mom, Rest Area is just SO, SO cute! Ugh, I can't even stand it!" (It's the common phrase I hear from her several times a day.)
Me: "Yes, he is. What is he doing now that is so cute to you?"
Her: "Oh, he's just gazing into my eyes."
Me: "Gazing, huh? What does that mean?"
Her: "Oh, it just means that you're looking out or into something for a long time."
#2: Horrid
Her: "Mom, can we run upstairs to my friend's house for a minute and just leave Green Light and Rest Area here?"
Me: "Ummm, no. I don't think that would be a good idea."
Her: "Why? Is it because if they wake up from their naps and look around they'll be scared?"
Me: Yes.
Her: "Yeah, I guess that would be a horrid thing."
Me: "Wow, what does horrid mean?"
Her: "Horrid is like something really terrible happening to you."
So, not only can she talk the talk, she knows exactly what's she saying! I asked her later where she learned those words and here's what she told me. StoryNory. Check it out. This website offers free audio versions of many, many fairy tales, fables, and popular stories. She loves listening to them and has most of them memorized by heart! When it's her turn to choose the music in her room or the van, she often chooses these. I just downloaded them and burned them to CD. What I didn't realize is that she is really learning more than fairy tales by listening.
5 comments:
Maybe I'm just a proud Aunt, but I agree that she is very smart and adorable too! Another fun reading website (it's my favorite) is www.starfall.com.
this is awesome Spencer loves to use my old iPod to listen to books on tape (since that's what mommy does) we had such a limited selection. He is going to love this.
Great site...thanks for the tip!
Where do you find all these great ideas and websites? Each time I check you blog I find another awesome idea to do with Emma....maybe that's why I check your site so many times each day...ha ha.
Thanks for website and I very cute stories. Keep writing them down, but kids say the cutest things.
Post a Comment