Friday, July 18, 2008

The new stompin' ground.

It's officially the middle of July. The sun is baking us and in a mere blink of the eye, we will be in the midst of August. A new school year. Exactly 6 weeks away.

Sometimes I feel like I don't even know myself. I have 3 kids. I have a 5 year old, for heaven's sake! Where did my life go? How did it pass so quickly? My little colicky forever-crying baby is a little girl now, is all registered for Kindergarten, but is not ready to go. This is hard for the 5 year old little girl and the 27 year old big girl.

During a parent-teacher conference in April at Roundabout's preschool, her teacher told me that since Roundabout is still a little apprehensive about starting school to just not talk about it this summer. She suggested taking a tour of the school or playing on the playground after hours.

So, for the most part, Kindergarten is just not a common word around here. It only brings about a flood of emotions; fear, anxiety, sadness, and then even more apprehension. She doesn't want to leave Mommy. She wants to play with Green Light. Her baby brother, Rest Area, is just so cute. She won't have any friends. She'll have new teachers...And she doesn't want to ride the bus!

Alrighty then. For Family Home Evening, we surprised her by taking everyone to her new Elementary school to play on the playground. She did eventually figure out that we were at her new school, but she had a lot of fun with Green Light playing on some new-to-them play equipment. She decided that before school starts, she should learn to

I thought that things were going well and that she was feeling

and


But in the end, just like the expression on her face in this picture shows, she was still feeling


Any suggestions?
It's breaking my heart to think that I have to send her away when she doesn't want to leave my side!

7 comments:

Brenda said...

I wish I could help. My oldest was almost 6 when he started kindergarten and all of his friends at church we going into first grade, so he felt like he was finally joining the crowd. The only thing I can think of is to check out a ton of books on the first day of school. I know there are a ton of them like Froggies first day at school, or DW's first day at school etc. Maybe that would help? Good luck!

Stephers said...

My daughter is also starting kindergarten soon, but she's actually pretty excited for it; that's just her personality. We've actually been talking about it all summer and how great it's going to be, how many new friends she can make and what her days will actually be like. I've asked her if she's scared, and sometimes she says yes, but then we just talk about it and things we can do to make it better. I also can recommend a book called The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn. It was actually written for kids who have to leave a foster family for a new one and is good for separation anxiety. And it's a cute story :-) Your daughter is probably scared she'll miss something at home, and so just remind her of the fun things she gets to do at school that no one at home gets to do, also encourage her to be a teacher and learn things at school that she can come home and teach to you and your other kids. Well, good luck, I know we'll need some luck over here too (and a few tissues) :-)

Danielle said...

I read The Kissing Hand to my class and their parents each year. It is a wonderful book. I am sorry to hear that she is so apprehensive. It is a hard transition for some.I remember hearing of one cousin of mine who cried everyday until after Christmas her kindergarten year.

I am afraid that might be Andrew, too. Andrew has decided he is "not fond of" primary sharing and singing time. He cries until it is time for class. Just doesn't like the crowds.

Rhonda said...

Are any of her friends starting kindergarten? I remember when her Uncle G started school. I cried especially after I found out he got off the bus and set on the curb until a friends mom found him and took him into his class. I understand your concerns. How about a girls day out to buy a backpack and new clothes. Afterwards you could go to a movie and dinner. Is there something special she could take to school each day to help relieve the anxiety. Maybe a ring, bracelet or picture. I am sure she will love it when she goes. Just remember Grandma LOVES YOU.

Rhonda said...

Sorry to add another comment but I just came up with a great idea. Roundabout can come live with me and go to school with me. I would be so excited to have her with me.

Kristina said...

My new kindergartener is the opposite of Roundabout. She is waking up every morning asking if she can go to school now. I think finding a friend who is also starting would help. Also talk about some of the activities she'll do at school that she never gets enough of at home....painting for mine. I am sure Roundabout will have a few rough days but they will pass and then she will love everything that she is getting to do.

GFMouse said...

my lil guy will also be starting kinder in just a few short weeks (8/13 to be exact). I have a feeling the separation will be hard but once he is there I am sure he will have fun. I like Danielle's advise on the book. I have that book too and we love it. My son can always relate to books and role playing. Hope all goes well next month for her. Where did all her friends go? Did they all move away or did you guys move?