Thursday, July 3, 2008

In 'N' Out

Green Light had the unfortunate privilege to have chronic ear infections as an infant. Luckily for him, he also had the privilege of modern medicine's invention of ear tubes. So, when he was 16 months old, he had outpatient surgery to have tunes inserted into his ear drum to help keep his ears free from fluid build up and an ensuing infection. The tubes are designed to stay in around 12 months. Lucky for him, his stayed in for 18 months and he didn't have any infections while they were in. They've been a wonderful blessing for him!

He had a follow-up appointment today with the ENT surgeon to see how his ears were doing. I had noticed about a month ago that his tubes had fallen out and were lying inside of his ear canal. I had no way to reach them and so, I figured they would eventually work themselves out. But since they were out, the ENT went ahead and pulled them out today with his special tweezers.

I think it's so cool how small these things are. When I hear of "tubes", I think of long skinny tubes. But ear tubes are really quite miraculous. They are so tiny, but yet they can solve so many problems.

I grabbed Green Light's tubes as we were leaving the exam room so that I could blog them. :) I placed one tube on a dime, on the ear of Franklin D. Roosevelt. The tube is the same size as his ear on the dime. Take a look.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

I also always thought of those tubes as long skinny things. That picture was cool. Now I know different!