Tuesday, July 8, 2008

never, never again....

Remember the post from yesterday...with the tidbit about a grocery store run? Well, here is the complete story for your laughing pleasure.

I usually don't let the kids use the "Customer in Training" carts. You know which ones I'm talking about...the ones that the store has up in front that are there to lure the children to them and so that the children beg the parents to go back to that store..."the one with the carts". It's all a marketing ploy. A marketing ploy that I won't fall trap to again.

Ever wonder what it feels like to have black and blue ankles? Well, give this experience a try and then you'll know.

Today as we entered the store, the kids for some reason ran over to the 25 cent machines. I've never let them buy something from one of those, but now looking back, I would have rather spent my 25 cents on a wad of gum than the carts. Parked by the candy machines were the kiddie carts which caught the eyes of my kids. Maybe I was feeling adventurous since I had been cleaning all morning and tending to a wide array of other random chores. Maybe I was just insane. Whatever the reason, I found myself actually helping both kids pull the kiddie carts out of the corral to venture through the store.

Now, I had all 3 kids with me. For a split second, I thought that this could prove to be a positive experience as they pushed their carts, I would fill them with our goodies, and I would happily push Rest Area in the stroller. I hurried over to the mechanical doors, did a quick scan of the store, and decided that the aisles looked light enough...this couldn't cause too much harm.

Green Light was the first to ram his cold, sharp-edged cart into my exposed, unprotected flip-flop wearing foot. And there I was, hobbling over to the "cookie stand" to help the kids get the free cookie the grocery store offers. It's just another marketing ploy to get the kids to hound their parents back into that expensive store. The ONLY reason I shop there is because of the coupon deals!


I couldn't pout long though because as I looked up my middle child was picking up his pace toward the produce and wine stands. "Watch out for that glass!!!" I pulled him aside and explained that he really needed to watch where he was going. I quickly grabbed what I needed and moved this cart train along.

The next challenge was trying to keep them moving in the right directions and avoiding running over any innocent shoppers. There was one lady who we seemed to keep passing by in the aisles. I'm sure she thought I was absolutely crazy.

A fight broke out over who had more in their cart. And then...another fight broke out later about having too much in their carts. Evidently, those carts don't deal well with a heavy load. Meanwhile, a friend from church spotted me in the cereal aisle. She must have seen my dilemma and chuckled to herself. (it's okay to laugh out loud now, Dianna!)

"Don't run into the eggs!"
"Don't run into the wine!"
"This way, guys. This way!"
"Don't ram my heels!"
"Watch where you are going!"
"WATCH WHERE YOU ARE GOING!"

As Green Light went galloping down the frozen foods aisle, all I could think of was that at least he was running in the direction of the registers.


I let the bagger boy place those carts by back by the door....where they will stay...FOREVER!

(Don't worry. No need to feel guilty that you're laughing at my expense. I'm laughing right along with you!)

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

I am definitely laughing. I'm glad you learned your lesson though :)

Ashley said...

We have 1 grocery store here that has the mini carts. I went once and have never gone again.

Charlotte said...

Never seen the little carts before (but now I know to be wary). We had a similar experience today with WalMarts terribly designed double carts. Why do I keep thinking it might work when it NEVER HAS? At least this time it was my husband's idea not mine.

Dianna said...

Great story, and hopefully I can learn from your experience. I've always thought those carts would be fun for kids, I didn't think about what they do to parents! Honestly though, I didn't notice the kids running out of control when I saw you in the cereal aisle. I was thinking too much about the missed deal on Multigrain Cheerios.

Angelfish said...

Been there, done that! My ankles were never the same - at least you can laugh about it so soon - I don't think I'll get there any time soon!

Rhonda said...

Sounds like good exercise to me. They look like little angels pushing their carts.It is a fun experience all of you will remember.