Saturday, September 20, 2008

Ahoy, Matey!

Despite trying with all my might to convince my middle child to not have a Pirate Birthday Party, it seems that the stars aligned and I agreed. He doesn't even really know that much about pirates. Peter Pan and Captain Hook...that's about it. But, as most little boys do, he picks up on the most boyish things. Including a Pirate Birthday Adventure. (And I have to admit, it was actually fun to plan afterall.)

All Hand Hoay..
Aye, aye...He's been talking about it for week and counting down the days. He's developed the most harsh and grinding pirate voice that he has used to inform people of his upcoming bash. And today was the day. Despite an unbelievably busy day yesterday without Straight Arrow (he was at his job talk...more to come on that later), I put the finishing touches on our last night. It needed to be complete to set sail this morning. Our Man-O-War was complete with pirates, cannonballs to blow the man down, booty, and even eight flame-laden

We had to get in the mood, ye hearties! A buccaneer story set the scene. And the kids really got into it! On the last page of the book, a little note slipped out that read ,"If you want to find the long lost treasure, follow the clues with fun and pleasure. Use the map to guide your steps. The first thing to do is find the 2nd clue in the color BLUE. If it's hard to decide, you must first go outside."



You're over the river and need to head to the woods. Among the trees is your next clue in the color GREEN.
Rain Rain go away, come back another day. Head to the front, where you'll find a clue in the color PURPLE.
Out of the cold and back into the warmth. Now climb climb climb. The next clue is the color of pumpkins at autumn time.
Orange you glad you went up up up? Keep looking my sunny fellow, the final clue is the color YELLOW.
All of the colors are beautiful beyond measure, and when friends work together, we'll find the treasure! Line up colors of RED, ORANGE, YELLOW, GREEN, BLUE AND PURPLE. Now you're getting warm. You're looking for something lovely after a pirate storm!
These buccaneers were no landlubbers. They worked their magic to break into the treasure...and worked...and worked... and worked...until they called over the Old Salt, Gary, to heave ho.

The plundering continued until the planks were shipshape-clean and their bellies were grumbling. And so for starters, the privateers indulged in some
But the Birthday Seadog was all-to-soon ready to


Aye, aye.
Happy 3rd Birthday Green Light!

11 comments:

Haylee said...

Oh my goodness...it all turned out SOOOOO cute. I wish we could have been there to celebrate with your Green Light. Way to plan an amazing party as usual Share the Road!

Charlotte said...

That is so funny- My 4 year old is having a pirate party in a couple of weeks. All year he has asked for a transformer party and finally- one week before his birthday he switched to something much more fun. You tried to change his mind away from pirates and I almost did a dance when he changed his mind to pirates! (But at least I have some good ideas for his party!)

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

That cake is absolutely awesome! I was so impressed I had to track my husband down to have him come take a look. You throw great parties! Happy Birthday!

Brenda said...

That was a fabulous party and cake!! You are so creative!

Marti Family said...

I am so impressed by that cake!!! Where do you come up with this stuff!

Stephers said...

How fun! Looks like a blast!

Allison said...

You're so creative! Looks like Green Light had a blast. Happy Birthday!

Danielle said...

So cute! I went to a pirate party this summer, and although fun, this one blows it out of the water! You are awesome!

Kristin Jones said...

Too cute!! I'm loving the cake!

Rhonda said...

I am tired just thinking of all the work you did. As usual a fun and exciting party. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to greenlight. I love you, Grandma

Anonymous said...

The party looked like so much fun. Dallin is a lucky kid to have such a creative mom. I love the cake.