Life as it was.

As I have reflected back on this day seven years ago, in thinking about where I was, what I was doing, and how I was living my life, I have been humbled. It's still mind boggling. And I believe I have different feelings now than I did then, mainly because I have children of my own now.
I was beginning my third and final year at BYU. Straight Arrow and I were living about a half hour away from campus and we drove in every morning together. I had an 8:00am Spanish class. On our drive down through Utah Valley, the news was all over the radio. We couldn't believe what we were hearing. As we arrived at BYU, we hurriedly made our way to our classes in hopes of finding out more. I believe that during our walk up to the campus, the second plane crashed into the World Trade Center in New York. My Spanish professor was an active duty Army guy and had a vested interest. As the students trickled into class that day, many had not heard the news and I remember the speculation about whether it was an accident or on purpose. Class got dismissed early and I remember hanging out in the BYU bookstore around the television monitor with so many others just watching in disbelief. I remember realizing that the date was 9-1-1 and thinking how odd that such a thing happened on such a date.
One thing that I am reminded of each year is to love a little deeper. Laugh a little more. Hug a little longer. Kiss a little more often. And never be in such a hurry that you can't say "I love you". I pray that our country will never forget, that they will never slide back into the slump of not caring about each other, and that I can teach my children the values they need to know in this life.
It makes me try harder to love my children more, love my husband more, be a better citizen, be patient with others, and to have empathy for other's trials. I am proud to be an American, but I want to strive to be an even better American.
Since 9/11, I have had a great affinity for this song.
If tomorrow all the things were gone I’d worked for all my life,
And I had to start again with just my children and my wife.
I’d thank my lucky stars to be living here today,
‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can’t take that away.
And I’m proud to be an American where as least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.
From the lakes of Minnesota, to the hills of Tennessee,
across the plains of Texas, from sea to shining sea, From Detroit down to Houston and New York to LA,
Well, there’s pride in every American heart,
and it’s time to stand and say:
I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A
3 comments:
your post for today is way more patriotic then mine. I remember all that happened that day too. I'm sure i always will.
wow i just say the date and time stamp on my comment.
crazy!
i also thought that it is comforting to know what my friends were doing on that day at the same time as me.
Well said, my friend.
Post a Comment