Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Seeing Red.

Last summer, I decided to be Martha for a few weeks and went to town canning my little heart out. We canned tomatoes, potatoes, salsa, peaches, and apple pie filling. I had decided that I would skip a year and not can again until after we moved next year.

Well, something got into me...mainly the fact that we were out of tomatoes and salsa from last year. And I just had an itch to do it again this year. So, I went. Call me crazy, but I went to the Raleigh Farmer's Market in the thick of Hurricane Hanna's business. Call me crazy again...I bought 125 pounds of tomatoes!

Now, I had read on my cousin's blog that she had 125 pounds of tomatoes and it made 40 quarts. Without thinking about exactly how many 40 quarts really is, I thought that it "sounds like a good number to me." And so, that's what I did. I'm not sure why. I did not can that many last year...and so I didn't have that many jars even! I can literally say that I was

I have this little problem: I always underestimate how much time something will take me to do. It happens with everything from shopping to cleaning to crafting to sewing to...yes, canning. By Saturday evening, I had finished canning 75 pounds of tomatoes with only 50 pounds left to go. Let me tell you. Those 50 remaining pounds looked awfully daunting.

I joyfully went about my business on Monday morning. Had my cooking class. Cleaned up. Fed the boys. Put them down for a nap. And those tomatoes were still sitting there. And I couldn't just let them go bad. So, there I was back at it again.

Now that I am done and relieved, I can finally say
The final count:
48 quarts of tomatoes
16 pints of salsa

Now, one last thing. I would be doing you a major injustice if I didn't share the recipe for this salsa. I got it from a friend, Melissa, and it is so fantastic! I am completely addicted to it in all actuality.


Bottled Salsa


6 quarts of Tomatoes, peeled, cored and quartered.
4 cups Bell Peppers, chopped.
4 cups Onion, chopped.
1 full bulb of Garlic, peeled, chopped.
15-20 Jalapeno Peppers, chopped (and de-seeded if you don't want the salsa to be so hot).
1 bunch of Cilantro, chopped (optional).
1 cup of Vinegar
3/4 cup of Sugar
4 Tbsp of Salt
2-3 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp dried Oregano

Cook all ingredients together in a large stock pot for 2-3 hours (at a simmer) until it thickens to the consistency you want it. Ladle the salsa into clean, hot jars, top with clean lids and new seals. If the hot jars don't seal on their own process them in a boiling water bath. Makes 12-14 pints.

9 comments:

Ashley said...

Where do you store all those cans for the year? I'm impressed!

Haylee said...

Wow!! That looks like a HUGE project...I'm glad you're all finished!

Marie C. said...

You never cease to amaze me! I don't know how you store all that stuff! You must be very creative!

Stephers said...

I noticed you use the wide mouth jars too. I love those!

Kristin Jones said...

Holy smokes!!!

Angelfish said...

Wow! It hurts my back just thinking about it. Have you done the math to see if it's cheaper to can your own rather than buy them already done at the store? Mat and I were just discussing the pros and cons the other night as we peeled and seeded our own tomato bonanza.

Chad Scribner said...

Impressive! I had a partner and we split the jars of tomatoes. You are the woman!

In response to another blogger's comment, it is way cheaper to buy them at the store already canned (unless you grow them yourself), but there is no comparison in taste! :)

-Danielle (not Chad)

Allison said...

Holy cow! I don't know what else to say!

Anonymous said...

I need to live by you so you can help me with things like canning. Until then I guess it is good thing i live by wal mart.