Monday, December 8, 2008

the Mood.

I love to appeal to the senses! Our bodies and minds can be so influenced by a myriad of things as Roundabout is learning about lately in Kindergarten. There's the sense of sight, sense of touch, sense of sound, sense of taste, and tonight we've experienced the

For Family Home Evening tonight, we learned about the many symbols of Christmas; the candy cane, the bell, the candle, the wreath, the angel, and the star. It was fun and to top of the night, we made Cinnamon Ornaments! Oh, the smell is so divine!

After we tucked the children into bed with sugar plums dancing in their heads, I popped our goodies into the oven. And when they emerged as ornaments, I knew just the place for them.

What a surprise awaits the little munchkins when they see the festives in the morning!

Apple Cinnamon Ornaments
1/2 cup cinnamon
1/2 cup store-bought applesauce (homemade would probably be too runny)
-Or equal portions of both ingredients depending on how many ornaments you'd like to make-

Stir together cinnamon and applesauce with a spoon until the dough becomes stiff. Then use your hands to create a ball of dough. Place the ball of dough on a sheet of waxed paper, flatten slightly with your fingers. Place a second sheet of waxed paper over the top of the dough and roll out dough to about 1/8 inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut into shapes. Use a straw to cut hole in the top for hanging.

Air dry creations on a waxed paper-covered cookie sheet or a cooling rack for at least 24 hours until they are completely hard. Or, if you're impatient like me, bake them in a 200 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until stiffened. Remove from oven, let cool, and ornaments should be hard.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where do you find these awesome ideas? Really? It amazes me the activities and crafts you have for every holiday or festivity. I feel like I am letting me children down over here. Want to adopt?

Haylee said...

Mmm...I bet they smell soooo good!

Charlotte said...

Awesome! I just bought applesauce yesterday and now it is going to be used for this instead of eating.

Rhonda said...

I think I shall try these. I love anything that smells like cinnamon.

Katie Smith said...

Yes! Please spill on your secret idea machine or website. I need all the help I can get! Also, where do you get the energy and time?