A few years ago while we were livin' up the student life, I read a parenting book called "The Parenting Breakthrough" that ultimately became one of my faves. Somewhere within, there's a passage that simply describes the author's own home and conversation piece found within. When I read it, I pictured it in my mind's eye and that picture has stuck ever since. I've wanted this in my home for years.
On a date with my lover boy a couple of years ago, we ran across this print of "The Creation of Adam" by Michelangelo. I snatched it up and have held onto it ever since, just waiting for the right time to put it up. I LOVE this piece of art. God's right arm is outstretched to impart the spark of life from his own finger into that of Adam, whose left arm is extended in a pose mirroring God's, a reminder that man is created in the image and likeness of God (Wikipedia).
Placed around Michelangelo's famous piece are my own creations. Photographed creations of my family creating. With. Their. Hands. Building with blocks. Exploring a train. Creating music. Holding tight in the backstroke. Bending wires; straightening teeth. T-Ball. I Love Yous. Striking keys in the right key. Choosing the Right. Exploring nature. Reading the written word. Interlocking fingers. All. With. Their. Hands.
Then, in the October 2008 General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf gave one of the most amazing talks for ME that just really spoke to me deeply. "Happiness, Your Heritage" didn't teach necessarily teach me something I didn't already know, but the Spirit that I felt that night while I watched him speak just made such an impression on me. It was undeniable that God loves each of us and "Our birthright—and the purpose of our great voyage on this earth—is to seek and experience eternal happiness." But the most memorable part of his talk came to me when he said this: "The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before." When I heard this, my whole vision for my photo collage was complete.
...and now I've finally created it. I so love it!
7 comments:
OH GINA! Frank got me that picture when he was in Italy while we were dating! what a fab idea of all the family's hands. I am so going to have steal that one! I LOVE IT!!! What better way to show family...I love it!
Beautiful...I love it!
Gina, it is absolutely beautiful!! I love the collage arrangement and the story behind it. It's perfect and it makes me want to think of something personal and defining that I could do in our home! Thanks for sharing!
p.s. love the blog look and blog header...but those photos are YOURS. You paid for them! You don't have to put the whole elaine bella thing on it...seriously!
beautiful! I loved that part of her book as well, and would love to do that in our next home on a large wall. (Okay...actually I love the whole book). Your home is lovely.
So great! Love it!!
I love that.
BEEEYUTIFUL!!! You should be proud! I also love the new look of your blog - you have been busy!! : )
Post a Comment