I remember conversations with friends when I've taken pride in saying, "My kids have never drawn on the wall." When Roundabout was a toddler, we bought her a kid-sized desk of her own and covered it in paper for her to color on. When she was tempted to color elsewhere, we would gently remind her that "we only color on paper". And it worked...or something did. :)
Green Light came along and although he did cut a few holes in his clothes with scissors, he never drew on the walls. Roundabout was always around to monitor if I wasn't. She's a true rule-keeper and would never let him step out of line.
You can see where this story is going. Along came Curvy Road. I've taken away markers, put away scissors, but it makes no difference. He always finds something. He always finds a blue marker and safety scissors. He's made our upstairs walls into his canvas. A work of art. A blue work of art. The first few infractions, I was eye-to-eye with him when I let him know that "we only color on paper". He just smiled his smile. Most recently, I was alerted by Green Light while I was in the shower that Curvy Road was "coloring all over the walls, doors, and floor". I quickly finished my shower and rushed upstairs only to see his beaming smile pointing to his works of blue art saying, "See! See!". Later in the week, he came downstairs completely colored in blue marker with his orange shirt covered in multiple scissor cuts.
I think I've given up. I need to just get rid of the markers and scissors for a while. But honestly and truly, will this even stifle a true artist at heart?
5 comments:
What a fantastic artist. I am so proud of him. You really can't stifle a great artist. He will find materials and canvas everywhere.
He is so proud of himself! haha
My sister-in-law covered a wall in her boy's bedroom with paper and he used the whole wall! Maybe he just needs bigger paper!! :) Good luck!
Your Curvy Road is my Burner. He was the exact same way. I always made him clean it up himself, and one day he finally stopped doing it. Of course now I probably jinxed it and he will do it again tomorrow. PS Bop colored once, I made him clean it up, he never did it again.
Ha ha! SO funny. That is why my sweet little daughter gets color wonder:)
Post a Comment