Thursday, July 10, 2008

Duck Talk

Roundabout was lucky enough to attend her first real birthday party this afternoon; the "leave your kid and come back to get them at the end" kind of party. Green Light was not invited to such a party. Poor Green Light...it's rough being the middle child.

I had been thinking all day of something special that the boys an I could do together, but had come up empty handed in the end. Everything I thought of was too far away or just not that fun in my mind. So as we were pulling away from dropping Roundabout off, I asked Green Light what the most fun and special thing that he and I could go do over the next hour.

him: Feed the Ducks!!!!!
me: Really? Feed the Ducks?
him: Yeah, feed the ducks! Feed the Ducks!
me: Where are the ducks? We've never fed any ducks.
him: Mooooom, you know.....at the park!

I vaguely recalled that there could possibly be some ducks at a nearby park that has a pond at it. We'd never been there, but I was willing to give it a whirl. We headed back home to get some duck enticers. He was just sure that the ducks would rather have Cheerios over bread. And since he was the one who out-of-the-blue knew about these ducks in the first place, I believed him. After all, the turtles like Cheerios. Why not ducks? I grabbed 3 pieces of bread just in case.

We arrived and spotted the ducks, but they were clear on the other side of the pond.
Him: Here Ducks! Hey, we're over here! You should come here.
And sure enough, they came.

They came in mass. I wasn't familiar or prepared for duck personality:


They practically attacked us. Okay, well not really. But I think they wanted to.
Him: Hey ducks! Get back in the water! I'll put your food there. Go back!
And sure enough, they did.

This duck dialogue just continued. Back. And forth. Him. And them.

But then, he threw in his last piece of bread. They spotted their next meal course: the Cheerios.
And off they went.

They were oh so very clearly just

Him: Come back here you ducks! I have more treats for you!
But they just kept going.


No worries though. He makes friends easily. He's actually always had an infatuation with squirrels. Mr. Squirrel gladly accepted his


We finished up our business, but not without just one handful of

It was a special day for a little boy.

4 comments:

Kristin Jones said...

You are so good! What a fun day for #2. And, how great that #1 got to go to a party by herself!!

Charlotte said...

It always amazes me how kids can know things that I'm pretty sure I haven't taught them. Way to go with the flow.

Linda & Terry said...

What a special time for the two of you and the ducks! This will be a day he will always remember. I know Roundabout had a fun time too. How about little rest area, did he sleep through it all?

Katie Smith said...

So that is where you guys were the other day. That is a good idea for an afternoon. I will have to remember that and take Brody one day.