Back at it. Again.
I had a few extra wide mouth pint jars left over from last week. Their emptiness and my compulsiveness didn't mix quite right. And so yes, I found something to fill them with. Maybe I am obsessed with salsa? It's quite possible.

I'm not sure what led me to make such a treat...I've never even had it before. But I saw the recipe on a blog and thought it looked delightful. If nothing else, it makes a great gift!
And now for 2008, I am done canning.
Thanks for your canner, Kristin.
6 cups peeled, pitted and chopped peaches (about 12 peaches)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
4 jalapeno peppers finely chopped (remove seeds and ribs)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon grated lime zest
1/4 cup white sugar
1 small box fruit pectin crystals (49gram)
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 - pint canning jars
Wash jars and lids in soapy water. Rinse well. Dry bands and set aside. Place jars and lids in water and allow to simmer (not boil) until ready to use. In large saucepan, combine peaches, onion, pepper, cilantro, garlic, cumin, vinegar, and lime zest. Mix pectin with 1/4 sugar and add to your peach mixture. Bring to a boil and then add remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar. Boil for 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Pour into prepared pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch air space. Wipe rim and threads of jar with a clean damp cloth. Place lid and rings on jars, just until resistance is met. Place jars in large pot and cover them with water 1-2″ over jars. Boil for 15 minutes. Carefully remove jars and allow to cool completely. After jars have completely cooled check for proper seal. Press on center of lid. It should be firm, pulled down and not flex. Tighten rings. Makes 6 pints.
Thanks for your canner, Kristin.
Homemade Peach Salsa
6 cups peeled, pitted and chopped peaches (about 12 peaches)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
4 jalapeno peppers finely chopped (remove seeds and ribs)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon grated lime zest
1/4 cup white sugar
1 small box fruit pectin crystals (49gram)
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 - pint canning jars
Wash jars and lids in soapy water. Rinse well. Dry bands and set aside. Place jars and lids in water and allow to simmer (not boil) until ready to use. In large saucepan, combine peaches, onion, pepper, cilantro, garlic, cumin, vinegar, and lime zest. Mix pectin with 1/4 sugar and add to your peach mixture. Bring to a boil and then add remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar. Boil for 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Pour into prepared pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch air space. Wipe rim and threads of jar with a clean damp cloth. Place lid and rings on jars, just until resistance is met. Place jars in large pot and cover them with water 1-2″ over jars. Boil for 15 minutes. Carefully remove jars and allow to cool completely. After jars have completely cooled check for proper seal. Press on center of lid. It should be firm, pulled down and not flex. Tighten rings. Makes 6 pints.
4 comments:
Oh My Gosh Gina!! You are Obessed! hahahaaha! I have always wanted to learn how to can. I LOVE to cook so it would just be so much more fun to prepare stuff for our food storage myself. I can't wait to try some of your ideas on your blog...I never thought of putting cooking ideas on here...I will have to start doing that. I do once a month cooking...hmmm....you have given me an idea! :)
It's a disease. We need a clever name for it. I am doing my last batch of peaches tomorrow. Then pickles next week. Then I should be done until next year.
When I first saw the pic I thought it was jam and I thought yuck. Then I read that it was salsa and I thought yummy yummy. I have never had peach salsa, but I have had mango salsa and I like it!
OK So every so often I get on and check out what your family has been up to I love it. I have to say though with each new post you make me want to take a nap with all that you accomplish in one day. You truly are wonder woman. I love you tons and tell little Round about that I Love her so much too and I am so excited that she is in school.
Post a Comment