Friday, October 24, 2008

Learning styles.

I came across a website where you can take a test that will assess which learn styles suit you best. I often think of learning styles as visual or auditory, but fail to remember that there are many other learning styles than just those two. I find myself trying to fit myself, my children, and those around into one mold. But there are at least eight learning styles that we can gain from! I see why I did well in school in all subjects in school as I am pretty even across the board. I scored much higher in music than anything else, which is also no surprise to me.

I am somewhat surprised that I scored the very least in linguistics. I hated English in school because I didn't enjoy reading, but I have since found that if I choose the content that I am interested in, I love to read.

I am also a bit surprised that my Intrapersonal/Interpersonal scores are so close. Although it may come as a surprise to some, I am a true introvert. Social situations are stressful to me, I feel out of my comfort zone being a leader, and I get nervous to talk to people especially if I don't know them really well. Through a few opportunities I've had over the past 2 years including the calling that I've held in Relief Society, I've been able to grow out of that a little bit, but I am still more comfort being with myself than with other people, even friends.

Musical Learner

  • likes to: sing, hum tunes, listen to music, play an instrument and respond to music.
  • is good at: picking up sounds, remembering melodies, noticing pitches/rhythms and keeping time.
  • learns best by: rhythm, melody and music.
Bodily/Kinesthetic Learner
  • likes to: move around, touch and talk and use body language.
  • is good at: physical activities (sports/dance/acting) and crafts.
  • learns best by: touching, moving, interacting with space and processing knowledge through bodily sensations.
Naturalistic Learner
  • likes to: be outside, with animals, geography, and weather; interacting with the surroundings .
  • is good at: categorizing, organizing a living area, planning a trip, preservation, and conservation.
  • learns best by: studying natural phenomenon, in a natural setting, learning about how things work.

Intrapersonal Learner

  • likes to: work alone and pursue own interests.
  • is good at: understanding self, focusing inward on feelings/dreams, following instincts, pursuing interests/goals and being original.
  • learns best by: working alone, individualized projects, self-paced instruction and having own space.
Go ahead! Take it! Post your results to your blog! I'd love to see how everyone else learns. I'll warn you that the test is 80 questions long, but it should take you less than 10 minutes.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

That's so cool. I'll definitely take it. I think I know the answer, but we'll find out...

Haylee said...

Being in teacher education, I have taken this many-a-time. Isn't it fun?! I may have to take it again though, just for you. :) It really makes it easy to see why so many kids struggle in traditional school settings though, huh?

Danielle said...

I was pretty even across the board as well, with my highest score in interpersonal. (But Papa could have told us that when I was 4, "Danielle, you talk too much!")