On the 4th Day of Christmas,
my pediatrician gave to me:
40 straight days of antibiotic
3 different prescriptions
2 severely infected ears
--and--

40 straight days of antibiotic
3 different prescriptions
2 severely infected ears
--and--

That's right, folks. Anyone who remembers Green Light's first year of life probably remembers that he had chronic ear infections. I would take him in for his well-child checkups only to find that he wasn't actually well. Every single time, he'd have 10/10 double ear infections with no symptoms. He was a happy baby who slept like a rock, ate like a champ, and never complained. No antibiotic would touch the infection and so he went on for months with infection and fluid clogging his ears. We began to be worried for his hearing ability. And finally after several months, more antibiotics than I care to remember, antibiotic shots, and many doctors visits...he was admitted to the hospital to receive tubes in his ears. They were wonderful and solved our problems for a full 18 months before they fell out this past July.
And now I suppose we can blame it on genetics in our little boys. Rest Area started with a stuffy nose about a month ago and had fluid in his ears, but the doctor who was treating him that morning decided against an antibiotic. Next came a severe eye infection that took 20 full days of antibiotic to treat. And just when I thought the course was clear, he developed a wet cough that went on for a week before I decided on a whim to just take him to the doctor yesterday just to avoid any emergency over the Christmas break. I felt so silly bringing him in just for a little cough since we've visited the pediatrician at least once a week over the past month. But in the end, I didn't feel so silly when he let me know that Rest Area's ears were both full of fluid, very infected, and bulging on the ear drum. Never fear though, he's still the happy baby he always is. And so...we seem to be on the track to have tubes placed after the beginning of the year. For now though, we're on two more antibiotics for 20 more days. Good morning diarrhea.
And now I suppose we can blame it on genetics in our little boys. Rest Area started with a stuffy nose about a month ago and had fluid in his ears, but the doctor who was treating him that morning decided against an antibiotic. Next came a severe eye infection that took 20 full days of antibiotic to treat. And just when I thought the course was clear, he developed a wet cough that went on for a week before I decided on a whim to just take him to the doctor yesterday just to avoid any emergency over the Christmas break. I felt so silly bringing him in just for a little cough since we've visited the pediatrician at least once a week over the past month. But in the end, I didn't feel so silly when he let me know that Rest Area's ears were both full of fluid, very infected, and bulging on the ear drum. Never fear though, he's still the happy baby he always is. And so...we seem to be on the track to have tubes placed after the beginning of the year. For now though, we're on two more antibiotics for 20 more days. Good morning diarrhea.
5 comments:
Ah yes, we were doing this same ear-tube dance last year! Our little one got his tubes two days after Christmas.
He and I are twins! I have an ear infection too. And I was almost crying. I can't believe he's so good about it!
Sorry they might have gotten it from me. I always had an ear infection until at 15 they removed my tonsils. Happy days after recovering from surgery. The older you are the slower you heal. He is such a happy boy. Lucky you.
Good luck. Poor kid. I had an extra happy baby (#3). Peter checked his ears once and they had ear infection scarring, but we never even knew he had one.
When I get ear infections it doesn't hurt me at all. It just feels like I have water in them. The Doctors say they are really sever and I should be screaming in pain. My youngest is the same way. He had fluid on his ears and we never knew it until his well child check up. I guess we know which side of the family gave the genes to your kids.
Post a Comment